Friday, July 25, 2008

More on dorky number obsession

So now I know I'm not the only one who finds odometer readings interesting enough to document I thought I'd share some of my other number obsessions.  I think when random numbers turn up that happen to have meaning to me, it is incredibly cool.  I don't think it has any global meaning, its not put there by God as a sign, I just think it is cool.  Humans are hardwired to look for patterns, that is how we make sense of our world so to see patterns in randomness is really as much a part of being human as emotions and relationships!

I love license plates.  You can find all sorts of random patterns in license plates.  One time I was at a stop light and the two cars in front of me had license plates that were one number different.  Exactly the same except for one number.  How weird is that!!!!!!  I am currently a little obsessed with the letter pattern TLT on license plates.  They are everywhere if you start looking.  I bet I see at least one of those per day.

Phone numbers:  This is not my cell phone number so don't try to call it.  But let's say my cell phone number was 252-2419.  I was giving my number to a friend and when she gave me her number it was 525-2419.  How weird is that!!!!!!!

And Kristen is right on about meaningful totals at the grocery store.  Even numbers like $40 exactly.  Always makes me say something to the clerk who always looks at me like I'm kookoo.  And number that sound like years, $14.92, or $19.41 I usually have to comment on something that happened in that year.  Now the clerk doesn't just think I'm kooky she KNOWS it!

Oh and I won't even get started on birthdays because there's a whole complicated post about how all the birthdays in my family are related.  But the basics are I have two children born on the 26th of the month and myself and the other child on the 2nd of the month.  One child was born at 4:14 p.m. another at 1:44 a.m. (just rearrenge the numbers there) and the last one at 12:10 (1+2+1=4 which is very prominent in the other times!)

O-kay that is enough insight into my weird little brain for one morning!