Saturday, May 24, 2008

Summer reading must read!


So I've started on my summer reading list a little early because Spanish class didn't require a lot of studying!  (Got a 98.75 on the final with out studying kind of class). I finished The Shack by William Young last week.  WOW WOW and WOW.  It was great!  It is the story of a man who suffers a terrible tragedy and three years later spends a weekend with God asking questions and getting his theology straightened out.  I am pretty picky about theology.  I think good theology is the key understanding Scripture and understanding our relationship with God.  I was VERY skeptical when I read this book because often these kinds of books have terrible theology that if you follow the line of thought behind it either ends up with a works based faith system, karma (as in if you do good things, good things will happen to you)  or a severely limited Deity in favor of human free will.  The theology in the Shack is really good, well explained and the story is pretty good too.  Bring the kleenex though!  Given that at least half of my readership is Catholic, I would also add that nothing that I read is at all anti-Catholic.  My cursory understanding of Catholic theology doesn't see anything blatantly against Catholic theology.  If any of my Catholic readers take a stab at it, I'd love to know what you think!  The Shack is worth your time, your book budget and the kleenex!

No comments: