Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Why I love Physical therapy

So I saw the orthopedist for this annoying pain in my hip and she sent me to Physcial Therapy to figure out exactly what was going on and how to fix it. So at PT it was determined that my pelvis is shifting in and out of alignment. The two sides of the pelvis are not fused but are connected with soft tissue. This allows the pelvis to move independently when you walk and to stretch when you have a baby. If the pelvis is out of alignment then the muscles in the back, butt and legs have to try and compensate and eventually some get weak, others get strong and others just cramp up. That's what happened to me. I also remembered during all this that I fell while running in August and landed on that hip really hard. So during PT my therapist can manually put me back in alignment and then massage the muscles that are hurting (love that part), stretch me out (passive stretching is almost as good as massage) and then supervise a program to strengthen my weak core which will help prevent my pelvis from shifting around so much. The work out part is really cool. Basically, I am getting personal training with my insurance company paying for 80% of it. The bummer part is that my pelvis is still unstable so I need to keep going. But on January 1 when my deductible resets it will get pretty expensive! But I want to get back to running and I want to be pain free sooooooo I guess we will figure it out. In the meantime, I can tell my core is getting stronger and it is really cool to have someone tell you when you are doing the exercises right!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh - nothing like a good physical therapist. Maybe yours is related to mine?