Thursday, May 17, 2007

Off to another gala



Ah, such is the life of every pastor's wife right? Just gala after ball after soiree. This one is a fundraiser for Fuller Seminary's new extension campus here in Texas. Richard Mouw, the President of Fuller, will be there and will speak. Now fathful readers, you know I met Newt Gingrich at a recent event. That was cool just because, well, he's a quasi-celebrity and I met him but he certainly sin't on my "People I'd most like to meet list". Richard Mouw, I think might be. He wrote this great little book called Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport. It turned me on to theology in general and got me on my current passion that theology matters.... A LOT!
From Amazon: "What do the Canons of Dordt mean to people in the Las Vegas airport—and does anyone there even care? In the movie Hardcore, a pious Calvinist elder tries unsuccessfully to explain the TULIP theology of his Dutch Reformed faith to a prostitute in the Las Vegas airport. This incongruous conversation demonstrates how Calvinism is often perceived today: irrelevant,harsh, even disrespectful.Beginning with this movie scene, Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport addresses the weaknesses of Calvinism and points to its strengths.

How does Calvinism shed light on today? Instead of reciting the Canons of Dordt, what’s a more compassionate way to relate to nonbelievers? What might it look like to live out the doctrines of TULIP with gentleness and respect? This conversational book provides answers and shatters some stereotypes. "

When our friend died in the plane crash 18 months ago , the chapter on suffering was the only thing I had read about suffering that was the last bit helpful. It also pointed me to another wonderful book called A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser which was written by a guy who lost his mother, wife and daughter all in one car accident. I read this in the first couple months after the plane crash and then passed it on to our freind's widow. We both read a lot of crappy stuff suring that time. Stuff that made us feel worse, not better. Sittser's book was phenomenally helpful and insightful.
So the question of the day. The purse I usually carry with my little black dress is a little antique beaded bag. Not big enough to hold my copy of Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport. So first, is it Kosher to bring my copy along in hopes of getting it signed? Second, do I sacrifice the perfection of the little purse so that I can fit the book in a larger purse to get it signed? Lastly, do I gush about how much I love this book or does that make me sound like someone getting a New Kids On The Block tape signed?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Think there will be a context to tell Mr. Mouw his book was an early stepping stone to your friends becoming Catholic? I'd enjoy hearing him speak. I'd further enjoy hearing him debate a Catholic theologian on the topic of "Total Depravity". But that's another day, another blog entry. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Oh, and to answer your closing questions - I'd take the cute purse and carry the book right along in plain sight. Any author would be flattered and onlookers will be impressed you know the guy enough to already own his book. This in no way puts you in the same league as "New Kids on the Block" fans, I promise!