Wednesday, May 2, 2007

It was like seeing a celebrity






Today hubby and I went to the Museum of Fine Arts exhibit of a bunch of borrowed paintings from the Met in New York. The show was an overview of Impressionism. I took an Impressionism class in college and loved it so seeing some of the paintings was a little like seeing a celebrity in person. It is amazing to me to see paintings I've read about, seen in books and on various calendars in person! The one on top was ont he cover of my Art history book, The Boaters by Edouard Manet. He painted this other cool one called Olympia. It is in Paris but I would love to see that one. It caused an absolute scandal at the Salon in the early days of Impressionism. Anyway, the other one is called La Orana Maria (Hail Mary) by Paul Gauguin. It is Mary and Jesus depicted as Tahitians complete with Tahitian angels in the background. Very cool!






The other celebrity sighting was last night at my most recent gala event. Wore the dress and the shoes again. Little shorter night so the shoes didn't hurt so much at the end of the night. Anyway it was the Open Door Mission gala and featured Newt Gingrich as the key note speaker. He was actually pretty good. I didn't realize he has a Ph. D in history. Anyway the person that invited us is onthe Board of the mission and took us to the VIP room where we got our pictures taken with Newt, himself. Pretty cool! Now honestly, there are lots and lots of other famous types Id rather meet but hey I'll take this one too! It also explains how people end up with pictures of themselves and the President or some other politico in their office. These meet and greet photo ops must be standard procedure at events like this. That had newt standing in front of a back drop with a line to walk up, shake hands, pose, have two photographers snap several pictures and then move on. We don't actually have the picture yet so the stock headshot above will have to do in the meantime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I'll take stock head shot, but I do hope to see the two of you together some day. Partly 'cause that's just cool, and partly 'cause I'm wondering if your podiatric discomfort is visible on your facial expression.