Thursday, September 20, 2007

Foley Catheters and Dressing changes

Ya know, when you have phrases like Foley Catheter and IM injections on your blog you get all sorts of interesting google hits. So really, visitors, I'd love to know who you are and what you think. Leave me a note!

Anyway, today I practiced inserting a Foley Catheter on a mannequin no doubt. I'm sure the first time I do a real one it will freak me out but on a plastic mannequin it is no problem! Best tip from my instructor...Give everyone a little peri bath regardless of whether they need it. It gives you time to make sure you have the right hole! I'm so sorry to my non-medical readers. Probably way too much information!!!!!! We also practiced dressing changes which involves maintaining a sterile field. Asceptic technique is a very cool concept to me. Maybe my calling will be in the OR and not in L&D. We don't have a dedicated O.R. rotation so I'm hoping that as I get further along some of our surgeon friends will let me come watch a couple surgeries just for fun. Im such a nerd!

Speaking of nerds...

I got a 97.5 on my Pharm test. The class average was an 88 so everyone seems to have done well. Always a good confidence booster to do well on the first exam. i have another test on Monday in Assessment (which is basically "how to do a physical exam 101) that I need to spend some time studying for. So sinc eI don't have class again until 5 I guess I should get off my blog and go do something productive!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on your high marks!

Unknown said...

Oh, ew. Reason #47 that I'm not meant to be a nurse. Even on a mannequin, inserting a catheter doesn't sound fun.
You go, girl!