Thursday, September 6, 2007

Teri's baby...

As you can see from my side bar, I like to watch movies. I have had the priveledge of being somewhat involved in two of Teri's three (so far) births and each of them has had a movie associated with it.




With Cayna, I was there with her acting as doula. Her labor stalled midmorning so I went to get my haircut and grab some lunch. Got back to her house to find someone had dropped off some movies for her laboring pleasure. One was "About Schmidt", Jack Nicholson's midlife crisis movie. Kinda slow, Cathy Bates is the redeeming factor. Just not really a "My friend's having a baby, let's watch a movie" kind of movie. But we watched about half of it and then labor picked up and we "Forgot About Schmidt."




Bethanie came a week after I went out to wait for her birth and hopefully revisit the doula experience. The night Teri was laboring and had been all day, hubby and I watched "Open Water", that movie about the couple who gets left behind by the scuba boat and get eaten by sharks. It was a terrible movie. The wife was so whiney that we were begging the sharks to eat her already by the end. But nonetheless, the theme heightened my rising anxiety about what was going on with Teri's labor. By the time the movie was over I had called both hospitals in Redlands just in case she had transferred. She called before I went to bed with news of a long, hard labor to bring 11 pound 2 ounce Bethanie into the world. Teri became my hero that day!

So we are on labor watch once again. My nursing school schedule prevents even an attempt to make it to this birth, darn it! But I just wonder wonder wonder what movie will be associated with this little one's birthday? Will there be a new girl to love or a boy? How will Teri's labor and delivery go? And, how big will this one be?
Praying for you as you get to the end, my friend!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww, thanks! I am totally in the mood to go rent a pile of movies, so we'll see what we get - you'll have to tell me what you watch around that time. I am NOT a "Grease" fan, but had a sudden urge this morning to see it again. I want to hear that song "Beauty School Dropout" for some strange reason! Go figure!