Saturday, November 17, 2007

Things in my mind at 6:45 on Saturday morning...



1. When I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom this morning my first thought was, "Huh, I look like Garth today." The other famous person I've been known to look like is Tonya Harding. Still waiting for someone to mistake me for Charlize Theron...

2. I had my last clinical day on Thursday. If I could figure out a gentle way to make every hospitalized person move their bowels predictably and painlessly, I would be a rich woman. Pooping ( or lack thereof) is a major focus of life when people are in the hospital! We can inhibit the HIV virus from replicating on a biochemical level, we can kill cancer cells with radiation, but we can't make a constipated person go without lots of nasty side effects. Never would have guessed that...

3. In celebration of my last clinical day, I have a massage scheduled for this morning! Heavenly. I never schedule massages for myself just because I'd like one. I always wait until somone gives me one as a gift or soemthing like that.

4. Aside from my massage we have nothing scheduled for today, no soccer games, no birthday parties, no errands that HAVE to be run, NOTHING! How delightful. Not sure what we are going to do with our day but it almost doesn't matter. I'm just s pleased to have a day with my family.

5. Sing it sista-friend! Karen gives us some inspired wisdom about the ridiculousness of toys that are available for little girls these days. We currently own a Polly Pockets car race track that is actually pretty cool for a girls toy until you see what the cars are racing for....To get to the MALL. Blech!It makes me wonder....30 years ago, Barbie rode around in her Vette, hung out with her friends, had great clothes and a nice town house. Eventually that got her in trouble so she got a career. Teacher barbie, astronaut barbie, doctor barbie, pooper scooper dalk walker barbie. Now barbie's got an income so she has to spend it so the focus now is consumer Barbie. Is that how we got to a point where little girls only activity in life is to buy stuff? Or perhaps we have so over sensitized people to the political incorrectness of everything that the only activity left that doesn't piss off half the consumers out there is shopping. I dunno, but I HATE it!

6. I ought to be studying. 'Nuff said.

7. I love my morning coffee. I'm not a drink coffee all day sort of person but, man, I love that first cuppa in the morning.

8. Last one, next semester one of my clinical days will be in Labor and Delivery. Yippee!!!! Here's the delimma. Which hospital should I try to go to....Slightly progressive, has a midwifery group that delivers there (major plus), where wealthy white women go to have their babies, (also where i was assigned to clinical this last semester), still accept medicaid patients, plenty of resources vs. county hospital, delivers LOTS of babies (big plus), will probably be able to assist more because of the busyness of L&D, will probably be harder emotionally because of the assembly line nature of it all. Weigh in, dear readers, with your votes....

2 comments:

Muddlin' Mother said...

Hey! I'd go for county - better to just jump in the fire and you seem to be the kind of person to handle it. I'm there with you on the coffee thing. I want to make coffee smelling perfume. Or maybe cologne for my guy. THAT would be an attraction. : )

Unknown said...

I'm votin' for midwives on staff if they're any good - you'll get plenty of the other flavors for the rest of your time in school, I'm guessing.