Monday, November 10, 2008

A day in the ER

So yesterday I spent the day in the ER of a tiny little community hospital where one of my instructors works as a nurse practitioner. I got clinical hours and I got to experience another aspect of nursing so that was cool. I just really like the ER. I like trying to figure out what's wrong with people. I like the fact that you get to talk to people but they are in and out, it isn't long and protracted. I like that there's alittle bit of everything, trauma (not like gun shots and car wreck trauma , this is a little community hospital, but like sliced my hand open trauma), pediatrics, geriatrics, minor illness and serious illness. I like that there's downtime where you can get to know your coworkers (and work a cross word puzzle - a drunk group of opera fans is a "juiced box") but that when it is busy the time flies by. I got to give a couple injections - just a note to big strong guys with tattoos, lots and lots of tatoos, the 7 year old boy made less of a fuss over a much bigger injection than you guys did. How can you whine over a shot when you have tattoos all over??????

O-kay alarm went off late gotta shower and go to school and take an exam!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE hearing about your experiences. Where else am I gonna get news from the life of a student nurse?
And the tattoo guys --- yeah, I don't get it! Did they weep during the tattoos?

Baby-Mama Runner said...

I think they were probably heavily medicated for the tattoos, it just wasn't on anything legal!!!!!