Thursday, January 17, 2008

traffic, clinical placement dreams and disappointments and weight watchers insights.


I wish I could blog while I'm sitting in traffic.  I know I thought of something that I could blog about this morning on the way to school but I sure can't remember what it was....

Well, I got my clinical sites.  I compromised on my dream sites: the large county hospital that delivers a zillion babies a day and M.D. Anderson Cancer Center  to avoid being assigned to a site that was very very far away form my house.  (One site is, no kidding, 60 miles away.  On the best of traffic days it would take me at least an hour to get there. No thanks!)  so I am at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center  for OB and back to the same placement I had last semester for Med/surg. I think I am most disappointed about the OB placement.  It is a private hospital and just not what I wanted.  But the reality is can a nursing student really go wrong? The fact is I have a lot to learn so it really doesn't matter where I am I will still learn a lot!  Right?  I'm trying to make my self feel better here.  And for sure Clear Lake is better than commuting practically to Dallas and back once a week!   

This week has just been tremedously busy and looonnnggg hours of lecture time.  I really wanted to run this morning but there just wasn't time despite getting up at 5 a.m.  Hopefully I can get some miles tomorrow.  I have been able to stay faithful to my weight watchers points all week.  It is amazing to me how little food I get during the day.  It isn't that I am starving or anything just that at my size, I only have enough points for three small meals and three small (healthy) snacks.  I'm not hungry all the time but I'm never stuffed and when it is time to eat I am very hungry!  It is amazing how good food tastes when you are really hungry and not just eating because it is time.  I hope that this process will help me get into the habit of learning that my food needs are significantly smaller than my eyes think and that I will not starve to death just because I am hungry before a meal.

No comments: