Saturday, January 26, 2008

Whatta week

And I didn't even have school on Monday!!!!!!!

Tuesday classes started at 8 a.m. where I facilitated my small group for my class that is aptly named "Working with Groups".  Probably going to be an easy A for everyone but time is so short these days it is hard not to find the development of group norms and roles and blah blah blah a bit unnecessary.  Especially as someone who has some experience in the evangelical subculture of small groups.  We practically wrote the book on it!  Then an exam in Women's health on Pregnancy.  No I didn't study more than about 30 minutes of rereading notes.  Got a 98.  Glad to know that I know as much as I think I know about pregnancy.  Say that 10 times fast.  That was followed by a lecture on something but I can't remember what at the moment.  Then an hour break for lunch and another pass/fail math test.  Passing is 100, anything else is failing.  Passed it but rumor has it that I was one of 12 who passed.  There's about 100 people in my class.  Scary!

Wednesday was 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. on labor and delivery.  Learned how to use the terms that describe the position of the baby's presentation.  Knew the terms before but didn't know how to look at a baby in the pelvis and apply them.  Again, as much I love the subject I don't think I want to review anything I already know for 7 hours!  Have noticed that the L&D nurses i've met so far (which represent the best of their profession cause they are teaching the subject!)  all have very very long fingers.  Now if you've ever had a baby and experienced that lovely thing called "getting checked" you might see why long fingers would be a good thing.  I definitely do not have long fingers.  Hoping my desire to be an L&D nurse and midwife isn't as doomed as my one time desire to be a fighter pilot (I have +5.5 correction in both eyes!).  

Thursday - skills lab.  Learned a little about neonatal resuscitation.  Cool.  Measured the fundal height on a real pregnant woman.  Kinda cool.  Practiced tracheostomy care on a mannequin.  Kinda cool but mostly lame.  Pretended to start an I.V. on a disembodied arm.  Do not feel any more competent to do that now than I did before I butchered the disembodied arm.  Learned how to hang an I.V. bag and run the I.V. pump.  Very practical and I thin I could replicate it with supervision without killing anyone.  

NExt week orientation at the hospital.  

Pray that I experience a growth spurt in my finger length.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it funny that you noticed finger length! Very practical of you. Busy week! Congrats on work well done.

K. said...

I've often heard that I had piano player fingers...maybe I should have gone into nursing instead.

(psst - tag, you are it, check my blog for info)