Saturday, August 25, 2007

Nursing School melt down

So i spent the last three days at orientation for nursing school. I learned CPR (30 compressions, 2 breaths repeat). I got a tour of the buidling. I got my schedule (I'm off on Wednesday and Friday which is great but Thursday will start at 6:30 a.m. with a clinical and end after Pathophysiology at 9 p.m.) I have scrubs, a lab coat, stethoscope and a lab kit complete with a Foley Catheter! I've met some of my class mates. And heard over and over how hard this is going to be but we will get through it!

But I'm still having melt downs. I will not be here when my youngest gets home from her first day at kindergarten and that makes me very sad. Actually, it made me boo-hoo several times over the day when no one was looking. It is all very overwhelming to think about how I am going to run my family, take care of the house, maintain what has been a really good marriage, go to class and clinicals, study for hours on end, try and get good grades and make sure my children still know what I look like. Yes, I know, that any working mother reading this says, "Welcome to my world." I know I will feel better once I get started. For now it is the unknown of it all that keeps me awake at night.

Then, my oldest found out that her two best friends are in her homeroom. I feel a little like I got a telegram from heaven that says, "Don't worry, if I can make the homeroom miracle happen surely I can get you through nursing school."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good telegram. And genuine!
I think you'll love it.

Muddlin' Mother said...

Hang in there. You have tremendous faith and conviction; this too shall pass. I know how hard this must be; I work from home, but have to go to the office once in a great while and I STILL hyperventilate about leaving everyone and usually chicken out. I don't have the stamina you do, so I'm living vicariously through you! Just take your emotions and be with them; I think in the end you'll feel better.